[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - Final Day of the season

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Fri Nov 20 20:58:56 EST 2009

Hi All,

Well I can happily report that we did a little better than Don did today at Lighthouse - not by a whole great deal though - just the 15 raptors for the final day. Highlight was Bald Eagle 176 for the season (as picked out by Mike Warner when pretty much everyone else was wondering what to have for dinner and other important issues). A new season record (the tie breaker was spotted by Stefan Martin on Wednesday which was promptly dive-bombed by a late date Osprey for the watch). In the last hour of the watch today we also managed to up our season high count on Merlins to a well-rounded 150.

It was a fun 3 months and I am looking forward to writing up and delivering my report for the season - December 9th at 7pm at Greenwich Audubon.Thanks to everyone who came down over the season and helped out with the count - obviously way to many to thank individually but the ones who stuck out the toughest and most birdless days know who they are and I thank them for helping keep me sane!!!! Thanks also to Brian O'Toole for deciding that I might just be able to avoid the temptation of sifting through the sparrows and warblers on site long enough to actually get some hawkwatching done ;)

Brief highlights for the season were 9 Sandhill Cranes (making Quaker Ridge Sandhill capital of Connecticut), 11 Golden Eagles, 176 Bald Eagles, 1 Red-headed Woodpecker a few Olive-sided Flycatchers, a Cackling Goose or two, killer views of a migrating adult Gos, and of course the 2 Mississippi Kites! Hope to see you there next year.

PS - I also thought CT birders might be interested in seeing some pictures from my trip up to see Saw-whets being banded in NY State - they are on the blog at http://underclearskies.wordpress.com/2009/11/17/saw-whet-owl-banding/

Luke Tiller, Greenwich
www.underclearskies.com