[CT Birds] Red-headed Woodpecker

Larry Nichols lvn600 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 21 12:51:15 EST 2009

  From Larry Nichols:
11/21/09-Windsor, Northwest Park
9-10am I heard a chattering call that sounded kind of like an oversized wren. It turned out to be a juvenile RED-HEADED WOODPECKER. I saw it where you walk up the main trail and veer right at the old barn.There is a pile of woodchips on the right of the path from where I viewed the bird in the wooded area.It seemed to take an interest in a woodpecker hole at the top of a dead birch. It entered the hole twice when I was there. The only sound this bird made was chattering sounds. The barring on the lower back was  noticeable.