[CT Birds] Ash Creek Survey-REDHEAD

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Sat Nov 21 12:57:02 EST 2009

I do have a Fairfield route I do, but I really have a strong interest
in Ash Creek which will be surveyed more often.

11/21/09-Partly Cloudy

Ash Creek, Creek Section from Riverside Drive and Gilman Street
3 Canada Geese
2 Mallard
21 American Black Duck
16 American Wigeon
1 female REDHEAD
10 Hooded Merganser
4 female Red-breasted Merganser (no males)
7 Ring-billed Gull
3 Herring Gull
1 Belted Kingfisher
14 flyover Monk Parakeet

10:50-11:00 Ash Creek, back of the estuary, viewed from Fairfield Avenue
5 Hooded Merganser (different individuals)
8 American Black Ducks
11 Ring-billed Gulls
10 Herring Gulls

11:05-11:15 Lower Ash Creek as viewed from Gilman Street
1 Red-breasted Merganser
12 Bufflehead
1 Belted Kingfisher
1 Ring-billed Gull
1 flyover American Goldfinch

11:20-11:55 St. Mary's By the Sea
15 Herring Gull
13 Ring-billed Gull
3 Red-breasted Merganser
3 Double-crested Cormorant
1 Common Loon

12:00-12:30 Ash Creek Open Space
3 Canada Goose
2 Mallard
31 American Black Duck
2 Greater Yellowlegs
1 Northern Flicker
1 Northern Mockingbird
2 Black-capped Chickadee
2 Swamp Sparrow
5 Song Sparrow
4 Dark-eyed Junco
1 American Goldfinch

The first 4 locations were definitely of waterfowl and gulls, with
anything else noted. The last, Ash Creek Open Space was more of
landbirds. The waters off Ash Creek Open Space are "Lower Ash Creek."
The waterbirds noted at Ash Creek were of the birds in the marsh on
the north side.

The female Redhead was the highlight. This bird was swimming with
American Wigeons in the main Ash Creek area which can be viewed most
easily from Gilman Street on the Bridgeport side. The American Black
Duck numbers were very surprising and I am very happy with the
increase. They were spread throughout. Firsts were the Buffleheads and
Red-breasted Mergansers.

A very nice day to be out for a survey!

Alex Burdo