[CT Birds] 11/21/09 Pacific Loon continues

Scott Olmstead sparverius81 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 21 14:10:37 EST 2009

Hi birders,

Spent about an hour at Lake Quassapaug (12:00-1:00pm) watching the Pacific Loon today. Jeff Davis from Pennsylvania and Joe B. from New York were already there when I arrived. We watched from the amusement park beach as the bird moved around the lake. Looking north-northeast from the beach you can look across to a brilliant red maple and a yellow house on the opposite shore. The loon seems to favor what must be a deeper area roughly in line with those landmarks for foraging - it is just visible with bins when out there. Fortunately it regularly returns to the area close to the south beach, which it seems to favor for preening and resting. Good views are certainly possible with patience! (even without a scope)

To me the most striking feature of the bird is the dark stripe down the side of the neck, which separates the white foreneck from the pale silvery-gray nape. Quite a handsome bird when the sun comes out!

Good birding,

Scott

Scott Olmstead
Tucson, Arizona