[CT Birds] Penfield Reef 11/21

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Sat Nov 21 23:12:43 EST 2009

Penfield Reef, Fairfield, 11/21

I didn't see any goldeneyes out today, and in the morning there was very little, seeing as there were 6 duck hunters at the end of the reef. Once they cleared out, the day got much better. I saw 1 Common Loon, a flock of red brested mergansers, and had numerous good looks at Long tailed Ducks. I was very pleased to find a Peregrine Falcon on the reef as well, and it allowed to me to get very close and I got some killer looks at it. My highlight of the day though was a group of 5 WHITE WINGED SCOTER off of the reef. As well as being a new bird for Penfield Reef for me, I have also never seen one in Fairfield, and this is actually my first time seeing them in the state as well.

James Randall
Fairfield