[CT Birds] Sunrise Bird Walk - Sunday 22nd

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Mon Nov 23 14:11:01 EST 2009

Hi All,

A rather slow day out in the field Sunday yielded just a few continuing Red-breasted Nuthatches at Sherwood Island and very little else of note. It seems to have been a pretty slow fall (apart from the loon) and not much exciting lingering in from what I have seen . Although I have been somewhat tied up with hawkwatching. Over at Compo Beach I managed to flush up a Lapland Longspur which promptly departed for somewhere east of the beach providing less than stellar inflight views.

On a couple of other notes, I just thought it worth mentioning that there is currently a MacGillivray's Warbler in Boston so perhaps something that looked like a 'Nashville Warbler' might be worth a second check if you live up in the vicinity of Short Beach. Interesting that someone had a cough in Newtown in 1987 - I know how they feel ;) I assume this should read Chough. Interested if anyone actually saw this bird - was it Red-billed or Alpine? Of course as non-migratory species I can't imagine how it got to Newtown but just intrigued.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich
www.underclearskies.com