[CT Birds] Fairfield/Bridgeport Survey III

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Mon Nov 23 15:23:19 EST 2009

Surveyed again today, one because of my success the last time and two
because I wanted to try a new location. I won't always have the time
to do surveys this frequently, but right now I'm taking advantage of
the time I have.
Counts are in order of time.

The Red-breasted Mergansers were absent (probably because it was low
tide), as was the Common Loon, replaced by two male Common Goldeneyes.
Total numbers of Hooded Merganser was 17, which is terrific. The Black
Ducks were also up. The Greater Yellowlegs continues, though it moves
around a lot. 3 days ago I had two. I went to a pond I saw at St.
Mary's and was pleasantly surprised with 3 Lesser Scaup and 2 Gadwall.
However, I don't think all those Mallards were wild and some of the
Black Ducks didn't look like full American Black Ducks. Also, why 14
female Hoodies and not a single male? Captain's Cove was empty, a spot
I used to see a ton of ducks at. But, we do have all winter for the
ducks to come! The Red-breasted Nuthatch was a nice surprise. I wonder
if it is the same bird from 23 days ago?

Low Tide: 9:29
Weather: Overcast

Ash Creek from Riverside Drive and Fairfield Avenue
6 Canada Goose
7 American Black-Duck
13 Hooded Merganser
7 Herring Gull
15 Ring-billed Gull

Upper Ash Creek-Viewed from Parking Lot on Fairfield Avenue
6 American Black Duck
4 Hooded Merganser (different individuals)
13 Ring-billed Gull
1 Ring-billed Im.
6 Herring Gull
1 Great Black-backed Gull

Ash Creek from Gilman Street
1 Mute Swan
2 'Domestic' Goose
5 American Wigeon
47 American Black Duck
2 Mallard
6 Ring-billed Gull
7 Herring Gull
1 Im. Herring

Lower Ash Creek from Gilman Street
13 American Wigeon
35 American Black Duck (different individuals)
19 Mallard
1 Mallard x American Black Duck
11 Bufflehead
1 Great Blue Heron
1 Greater Yellowlegs
2 Ring-billed Gull
7 Herring Gull
4 Herring Im.

St. Mary's By The Sea
2 Common Goldeneye
1 Double-crested Cormorant
33 Ring-billed Gull
4 Ring-billed Im.
51 Herring Gull
10 Herring Im.
2 Savannah Sparrow

Pond At St. Mary's
6 American Wigeon
10 American Black Duck
26 Mallard
5 Mallard x American Black Duck
2 Gadwall
3 Lesser Scaup
14 Hooded Merganser (all females)
1 Great Blue Heron
1 Black-crowned Nigh-Heron
1 Belted Kingfisher

Captain's Cove
4 Ring-billed Gull
1 Ring-billed Im.
3 Herring Gull
1 Great Black-backed Gull

Ash Creek Open Space
16 American Black Duck
4 Herring Gull
1 Belted Kingfisher
4 Black-capped Chickadee
1 Tufted Titmouse
4 Song Sparrow
2 Dark-eyed Junco

Very nice numbers of birds at a number of locations!

Alex Burdo

 From Alex Burdo:
11/23/09 - Fairfield, Ash Creek Open Space -- RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH,
foraging and calling