[CT Birds] Morris and Litchfield (Bantam Lake, White Memorial Museum, and Cemetery Pond), 23 Nov 2009

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 23 17:17:15 EST 2009

Drove over to Bantam Lake in Litchfield with Russ Naylor and Tom Zissu early this afternoon (after 2 PM) hoping the Tundra swan might be still about. On RT 109 in Morris we stopped at Jones Pond and had a male bufflehead, mallards, and about 10 black duck. We stopped at the South Bay of Bantam Lake on RT 209 but had just a few Canada geese. We then drove east along the north shore of Bantam Lake on North Shore Rd, spotting 5 ruddy ducks. Parking at Point Folly we had at least 20 mute swans, one pied-billed grebe, mallards, about 10 black duck, and three common mergansers on the parking lot side of Point Folly. We walked to the viewing platform on Point Folly but there was not much to view except a few Canada geese and a 10 distant common mergansers. We stopped at the Litchfield Town beach briefly and then the blind behind the White Memorial Museum. Nothing to add waterfowl wise from the Litchfield Town beach.. The feeders behind the White Memorial
 Museum had just the "common" feeder birds, no sparrows of note besides a few juncos. At Cemetery Pond we had two pied-billed grebe, 15 black duck, 15 mallards, 8 Canada geese and at least 50 American robin. At Sandy Beach on Lake Bantam we had 35 mallard, three distant ruddy duck, and one fly by red-tailed hawk. Our last stop was at the Morris Town boat launch on East Shore Road on Bantam Lake where we had three bufflehead,  10 common mergansers, and at least 70 American Robin. Bottom line, no tundra swan.

David W Babington
Washington, CT