[CT Birds] Windsor RH Woodpecker - yes (11/23)

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 23 18:04:07 EST 2009

>From Jamie Meyers:
Windsor, Northwest Park - 11/23 - juv. RED-HEADED WOODPECKER continues in the same spot as previously noted.

A couple of clarifications on the previously noted directions, which are good -- there are two Brookside Trail signs.  One is about 50 yards before the barn and leads into the woods and the other is adjacent to the barn and is the wide one that you should take.  The woodchips and other debris are obvious not far from there.  I should note that I stood next to the wood chips and was watching straight into the woods, where other posters appear to have had the bird, and after about ten or fifteen minutes of nothing in the chilly drizzle, I heard it fly in and watched it land on the dead birch that Larry noted in his original post -- which is about thirty yards into the woods to the right of the wood chips.  I walked over to the edge of the woods from there; there's a series of dirt mounds that look like they were bulldozed there some time ago and have some bamboo-like stuff growing out of them.  I too found the bird by hearing it first.

Some of you will remember the adult Red-headed that overwintered where I work in Bloomfield about 7 - 8 years ago.  This bird is exhibiting many of the same behaviors that one did, so I wouldn't be surprised if it makes an attempt at this location, which is great habitat for the species.  I noticed small acorns in plentiful supply on the ground near the barn as I walked in.  This is one of my absolute favorite species and I hope it does well there!

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT