[CT Birds] Stratford Birding

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 26 13:42:33 EST 2009

11/26, (830a-11a)  My first Tree sparrows of the season were seen today behind DeLuca field (2) and at the begining of the railroad trail at Great Meadows (3). Other sightings include the continuing Canvasback and Lesser Scaup at Frash pond along with  Bufflehead, Hooded mergs and a single Pied-billed Grebe. 2 each of Black and Yellow-crowned Night-herons and a single drake Green-winged teal in the blind pond on the railroad trail at Great Meadows, a lingering Catbird behind DeLuca, my first 5 Horned larks of the season on the dunes at Long Beach, and a total of 13 Common and 2 Red-throated Loons on a super glassy Sound. The best part of today was me FINALLY hearing a loon yodel for the first time.  A group of 3 commons faced each other in a tight circle and raised up and flapped at one another about 100 yards offshore at Long Beach. I got out of my truck snag photos, when I heard the call twice. To me, thats as cool as a lifer because I've been waiting to hear that forever. Happy Turkey-day!  -Brian Webster-