[CT Birds] Hammo (11/25)

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 26 13:58:50 EST 2009

Just to echo what Alex mentioned this morning, here is my list from Frash pond last year on November 17, 2008, compared to todays sightings in my previos post...   1 juv Great Cormorant, 20 Canvasback, 12 Hooded and 10 Red-breasted mergs, and 15 Bufflehead.  That same day there were 3 American Coot at the Birdseye Boat-ramp.  At Long Beach there were 10 Am. Pipits, 12 Larks, 1 Bunting, 20 Goldeneye, 15 Red-throated Loons, 4 Long-tailed Ducks, 8 Tree sparrows and 2 Ipswich Savannahs.  The day before (11/16/2008) there were 80 Scaup.  My basis for comparison is small, as I've only been keeping my records and birding since March 08, but its obvious the birds are tardy for whatever reason.  My first Tree sparrow last year was 11/14.  Do years like this mean at some point we will have large numbers of late arriving species building up?  Or does it make for a slow season?  -Brian Webster-