[CT Birds] Birds on Long Island Sound - 11/26/09

louise tucker louise40pt at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 27 12:52:48 EST 2009

Yesterday, Thanksgiving Day, I traveled by ferry from New London to Orient Point, NY. From the back of the ferry, at the mouth of the Thames River, I saw a Common Loon pop up, the another, another etc. to a count of 16 Loons. I have never seen so many together. 2  were Red-Throated Loons. Before I reached Orient Point I had observed at least 30 Loons.

In the middle of the sound, I saw a lone Northern Gannet flying flat out towards New York City.  He definitely had an agenda - no looking around, no diving, no soaring, just straight flight. Otherwise, just a few Greater Blacked Gulls here and there.

Louise P. Tucker