[CT Birds] Barn Island

Tom and Dorothy Wadlow joyant at att.net
Sun Nov 29 16:05:28 EST 2009

Sunday is the only day of the week hunting is not allowed at Barn Island
during this season, so I often take a Sunday morning exercise/bird walk
there.  This morning I saw a nice mix of birds including 1 golden-crowned
kinglet, 1 yellow (Eastern) palm warbler with a small flock of yellow-rumps,
several eastern bluebirds hanging around the nest boxes in the upper meadow
and a flock of cedar waxwings.

On the way out I stopped to scan the large puddle which often accumulates in
the meadow just north of the "Medieval castle" house on Palmer Neck Road.
This is part of the property recently acquired as an addition to Barn
Island.  On the ground at the edge of the water was a first year peregrine
falcon.  He did not appear to be eating anything, but there were not any
other birds around.

Also, at the suet feeder in my Stonington yard yesterday, 1 yellow-bellied
sapsucker.

Dorothy Wadlow