[CT Birds] Evening unusuals 11/29

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 30 08:18:38 EST 2009

After a day of house & yard chores 11/29, I decided to drive and bird the Lordship area on this mild and calm night, in hopes of finding an owl or two.  I viewed from the Sikorsky Airport entrance down Lordship Blvd., ending behind the warehouses on Long Beach Blvd. No owls, but from 4:15 - 5:45pm I found:
37 BOAT-TAILED GRACKLES (going to roost 4:40), 1 Great Egret, 8 Great Blue Herons (including a flock of 5), 3 Black-crowned Night-herons, 1 AMERICAN WOODCOCK, 1 CLAPPER RAIL (heard), 1 Killdeer.  Surprisingly, no No. Harriers; they have been very scarce over the Stratford & Milford saltmarshes for the past 2-3 weeks.  This might suggest a poor rodent prey population.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford