[CT Birds] Norther Harriers

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Mon Nov 30 10:24:44 EST 2009

The relative lack so far in CT of Harriers, Short-eared Owls, Rough-legged Hawks, Saw-whets, etc would seem to indicate good prey abundance and prey availability (lack of snow) up north. If winter ever does actually get here we'll probably see a noticeable increase in these species (and Ducks that are so far relatively low) in our area. We will have to look at the big picture retrospectively (after the winter season) and in conjunction with other region's numbers to draw any reasoned conclusions concerning population numbers. One thing I've noticed mild weather-wise is the repeated melt-off of the snow/ice cap in the White Mountains so far. Admittedly Mt Washington has a new snow/ice cover now but until the last few days all the peaks have seen mild enough conditions for the snow and ice to mostly melt off after each storm. I have a pair of cross-country skis I'm looking forward to being able use as well, hopefully!

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.