[CT Birds] interesting question

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Nov 30 19:46:38 EST 2009

The consensus from the answers I  received is that the bird is clearly a
Coopers Hawk.  This includes a  welcome reply I received from hawk guru Tom
Carrolan.
I think Steve Mayo's post sums up the  reasons pretty well, and is a very
good illustration of why it is often  necessary to consider a whole series of
identifiers, not just 1 or  2:

 "Why a CH?
Thin streaking against pure white on breast (I know,  there are sometimes
very lightly streaked imm. NGs out there, but most imm. NGs  around here seem
to have a light tawny wash to the breast).
Thin, "weak"  supercillium, not much behind the eye (I know, another
far-from-conclusive field  mark).
Yellow cere.
"Clean pants." Undertail coverts are white. No  apparent streaking, even at
edges of undertail coverts. That is, no eidence of  those squarish or
diamond-shaped markings on the edges of the undertail coverts.  That's a stretch;
there's only 1 good photo image of this.
Streaking on the  feathers over the thigh are uniform, light and vertical.
Upperwing coverts  are trimmed with buffy, not pale whitish edges. Mantle
just doesn't look "scaly  enough" for a NG.

Finally, my first impression, it is a pretty,  warm-brown bird. Immature
NGs look dirty, scaly and ugly. How's that for an  objective comment?

Steve Mayo
Bethany"

Took this question from the RIBirds list and thought some here  might like
to give it a shot.  Unfortunately she left out an important  point -- how
big the bird looked.  I can see why the question was asked,  but my personal
guess is Coop.  What is it, really?

"I recently photographed an accipiter in my back yard. I had  ID'd it as a
juvenile Cooper's Hawk but an experienced birder has recently  suggested to
me that it is a juvenile Northern Goshawk. I thought I'd post a  link to the
photos, hoping to generate some feedback.

Here's the link. Use the Full Screen option to see a larger  image.

_http://picasaweb.google.com/michellelynnsts/Accipiter_
(http://picasaweb.google.com/michellelynnsts/Accipiter) #

Regards,

Michelle St.Sauveur