[CT Birds] December

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Tue Dec 1 07:13:40 EST 2009

For the month of December I have records for 260 Species and 3
introduced species

In December many birds have stopped migrating, especially with the
presence of feeders
Below are records for birds that stayed the full month

Greater White-fronted Goose	2000
Barnacle Goose	1984
Tundra Swan	1973, 1982
Cinnamon Teal	1994
Redhead	1953
King Eider	1981
Barrow's Goldeneye	1976
Snowy Egret	1998
Clapper Rail	1998
Semipalmated Plover	1984, 1993
Piping Plover	1993
Greater Yellowlegs 1986, 1990
Black-headed Gull	1998, 1999
Red-headed Woodpecker	1981, 1982
Eastern Phoebe	1994
Loggerhead Shrike	1984
Boreal Chickadee	1981
Mountain Bluebird	1994	Guilford
Yellow-throated Warbler	1999
Oregon Junco	1989
Painted Bunting	1989
Dickcissel	1950, 1952, (3), 1953 (4), 1982, 1984, 1989
Orchard Oriole 1952 (Was present through November)
Bullock's Oriole	1998
Baltimore Oriole 1950, 1952 (2)
Pine Grosbeak	1951
Pine Siskin	1951

Records given as December Only
Northern Shoveler	1994, 1995, 1997
King Eider	1922	Fairfield
Common Eider	1996	Old Lyme
Golden Eagle	1984	Essex
Snowy Owl	1946, 1949 (10), 1986 (6),

Baltimore Oriole
I have a significant amount of records from 1945 to 1953 and 1983 to
2000  (22 years)
There are records for 12 years. That means birds are reported 54% of
the time.
I would expect that as more records are acquired the percentage will
increase.

Oriole Records are distributed  as follows
1945	2
1950	1
1951	1
1952	3