[CT Birds] Fairfield/Bridgeport Survey

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Tue Dec 1 17:38:48 EST 2009

I did another survey today, this time at high tide. I have decided to
change it up a bit, so I can generate more information. It is too bad
I didn't think of this sooner, because I would've had more info for Nov.
For any wondering, I put the survey date into ebird and also an excel
spreadsheet. I do not combine all the numbers on the spreadsheet, but
instead make separate sheets for each location/part of the survey.

High Tide was much different, with many of the low tide regulars
absent. I found an increase in ducks and gulls at the St. Mary's Pond,
probably thanks to the tide.

The Red-breasted Mergansers were up, actually substantially. My high
count since my surveys began in nov. has been 4. My high count today
was 16. I would estimate If you added today's numbers it would make
24, and I do feel like I saw 24 individuals today. The Common Loon
continues at St. Mary's. I feel like there are more, but because I
don't have a scope, it makes it difficult to see anything far
offshore. The Gadwall continues at St. Mary's pond. Captain's Cove
continues to be just gulls, but there was an increase thanks to the
roosting gulls, thanks to high tide. I feel the ducks will set in at
Captain's Cove soon. The Red-breasted Nuthatch continues at Ash Creek

High Tide: 9:48 AM
Weather: Mostly Cloudy

Ash Creek Main From Riverside Drive and Fairfield Avenue
3 Canada Goose
5 American Black Duck
1 Red-tailed Hawk
2 Herring Gull

Upper Ash Creek-Viewed from Parking Lot on Fairfield Avenue
2 Hooded Merganser
3 Ring-billed Gull
1 Herring Gull

Ash Creek Main from Gilman Street
2 Canada Goose (different individuals)
5 American Black Duck (different individuals)
1 Bufflehead

Lower Ash Creek from Gilam Street
4 Canada Goose
11 American Black Duck
1 Mallard x Black Duck
4 American Wigeon
12 Bufflehead
8 Red-breasted Merganser
1 Great Blue Heron
2 Herring Gull

St. Mary's By The Sea
16 Red-breasted Merganser
1 Common Loon
16 Ring-billed Gull
1 Im. Ring-billed
6 Herring Gull
1 Im. Herring

St. Mary's Pond
2 Gadwall
8 American Wigeon
25 American Black Duck
6 Mallard x Black Duck
35 Mallard
3 Lesser Scaup
25 Hooded Merganser
5 Herring Gull
2 Im. Herring
1 Belted Kingfisher

Captain's Cove
18 Ring-billed Gull
3 Im. Ring-billed
12 Herring Gull
4 Im. Herring

Ash Creek Open Space
1 Canada Goose
17 American Black Duck
2 Hooded Merganser
1 Great Blue Heron
1 Red-tailed Hawk-(I'm thinking the same indiv. as the one at Ash
Creek Main)
1 Blue Jay
2 American Crow
5 Black-capped Chickadee
1 Tufted Titmouse
6 American Robin
3 Song Sparrow
2 Swamp Sparrow
2 Dark-eyed Junco

I'm really enjoying these surveys and hope, overtime as the data grows
it can become helpful for anyone seeking info on this area.

Alex Burdo