[CT Birds] Hammo Orioles and others

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 1 18:48:27 EST 2009

I had the pleasure of birding with Jayne Amico today and the privilege of
meeting Alex Burdo albeit briefly at Hammonasset State Park. We found 5 of
the previously reported Baltimore Orioles in the campground area. Possibly
the sixth bird was present as well but the Orioles were only loosely
associated with one another and a definite count of 5 was the best to be
had. Here are the more notable bird we turned up;

Red-throated Loon (20+)

Common Loon (2)

Northern Gannet (1 adult)

Great Blue Heron (1)

Black-bellied Plover (1)

Monk Parakeet (14)

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (1 pattern drilling a Tamarack which was weeping

Horned Lark (29)

E. Starling (2,000+)

American Pipit (2)

Yellow-rumped Warbler (20+)

Baltimore Oriole (5)

Purple Finch (1)

On my way back home two Peregrine Falcons were cavorting over the Baldwin
Bridge east end.

>From Jayne Amico, Dave Provencher, with Alex Burdo for a spell:

12/01/09 - Hammonasset State Park Madison - Northern Gannet (1), Horned Lark
(29), American Pipit (2), Baltimore Oriole (5)

Form Dave Provencher:

12/01/09 - Baldwin Bridge over CT River Lyme  - Peregrine Falcon (2)

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England