[CT Birds] Hammonasset Orioles...an interesting turn of events

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 19:07:39 EST 2009

Hats off to Mark for nailing such great documentation on this bird.
Thanks to those pics, our initial suspicions of "that's quite a bit of
white in the wing" could be supported with field marks that would have
otherwise been difficult to document without his killer images. And
all with a camera setup that is, as Mark puts it, probably worth more
than me :)

That flock, or at least part of it, has been in the campground since
at least 11/18. On that date I had the hybrid male (reported as a
Baltimore) and 1-2 young birds. On that afternoon my views were brief
and the birds not nearly as cooperative (stayed high in the pines and
cedars), so it's possible that all 6 birds were present then and I
just happened to see 3 of them.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT