[CT Birds] Hammonasset Orioles...an interesting turn of events

Zagorski, Sara szagorski at daypitney.com
Wed Dec 2 09:54:12 EST 2009

Subject: Phippsburg oriole, a Connecticut redux
From: Louis Bevier <lrbevier AT colby.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:13:52 -0500

Although the oriole photographed by Robin Robinson back in early
November showed characters that suggested it was not a Bullock's
Oriole, the possibility that such an oddly patterned female Baltimore
Oriole might be of hybrid ancestry was something that couldn't be
eliminated. Recently, Mark Szantyr and Nick Bonomo found SIX(!)
orioles in coastal Connecticut. A selection of those photographed can
be seen here:

http://Birddog55.zenfolio.com/p723713134

The adult male shows several characters suggesting it is a hybrid, and
this brings up the question of whether some of these late and "odd"
Baltimore Orioles could be from the hybrid zone, possibly a population
at the northern and eastern edge of that region? Female plumaged birds
would be very difficult to evaluate without DNA samples, and even then
it might be difficult to tease out the ancestry.

For those interested, the adult male in Connecticut shows some orange
in the malar, an extensive white patch on the secondary coverts
including white extending up the outer webs towards the bases, some
white in the orange upper wing bar, and dark tips to most of the tail
feathers except the outer pair, which show pale orange bases. All
these characters suggest Bullock's influence.

The story of these two species, previously lumped but now known NOT to
be each other's closest relative among North American orioles, goes
back a long time. A beautiful plate of males is depicted in an article
by George Miksch Sutton, who published his observations in a 1938
issue of The Auk available here:

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v055n01/p0001-p0006.pdf

To me, Sutton's oriole number "2" is close to the Connecticut male but
with a tail even more like a Bullock's.

Other key papers on the hybrid zone include the following, most also
available at the SORA web site above:

Sibley, C. G. and L. L. Short, Jr. 1964. Hybridization in the orioles
of the Great Plains. Condor 66:130-150.
Rising, J. D. 1970. Morphological variation and evolution in some
North American orioles. Syst. Zool. 19:315-351.
Rising, J. D. 1983. The progress of oriole "hybridization" in Kansas.
Auk 100:885-897.
Rising, J. D. 1996. The stability of the oriole hybrid zone in western
Kansas.Condor 98:658-663.

Louis Bevier
Fairfield