[CT Birds] Story of 8 White Pelicans Stratford

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 18:22:25 EST 2009

I relocated Nick Bonomo's 8 White Pelicans from my spot at Stratford Point
at 3:10 this afternoon as they were flying down the coast in Milford. I was
alone at the time and picked them up several miles to the east. They were
close to the shore, just west of Silver Sands, when I first set eyes on
them. Nick and Julian had said they were moving back towards land a bit, and
they were correct. The Pelicans were close to or just over the shoreline at
a moderate height the entire time - not too high but not low over the water

I watched them advancing towards Milford Point for a minute or two as Tina
Green, Charlie Barnard, and Frank Mantlik got to Stratford Point and saw me
frantically running around. We all watched them soar literally right over
the length of Short Beach (argh!) and fly west over land towards Long Beach,
presumably continuing down the coast. Frank, Charlie, and I remained at
Stratford Point for another hour or so. I later checked Long Beach, Lewis
Gut, Johnson Creek, etc. to see if they had landed somewhere, but came up
empty. So the question is - did anyone have them west of Stratford?

A huge thanks and congrats to Nick for being aware of the Pelicans, finding
them, and he and Julian for keeping me updated on their progress. Is there
any species Nick can't dig up for us basically on demand? Simply amazing.
While at Stratford Point there were plenty of the usual Surf and
White-winged Scoter, loons, gulls, Sanderling, Dunlin, the ever-present male
American Kestrel, a few Great Cormorant, and a couple Northern Gannets.
Frank also picked up a Common Eider and a Harbor Seal.

 From Scott Kruitbosch w/ Charlie Barnard, Frank Mantlik, & Tina Green:
12/06/09 - Stratford, Stratford Point -- 8 WHITE PELICANS flying west at
3:10-3:15 after going past Milford Point and over Short Beach. 2 NORTHERN
shore at various times.

Scott Kruitbosch
Connecticut Audubon Society
Stratford, CT