[CT Birds] Am White Pelican photos and comments

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 20:28:31 EST 2009

You have to love technology sometimes. Thanks to listservs and cell
phones we were able to anticipate the arrival of American White
Pelicans from Maine to Rhode Island to Connecticut, then able to track
them as they followed CT's coastline toward the west. Ah yes,
teamwork. Pretty cool! I was able to snap a few record shots, posted
on my blog at the link below. There's a lot of writing at the top, so
scroll down to get to the pics.

I'm really glad that Julian, Scott, Frank, Charlie, Tina (and
hopefully others) were able to catch up with these awesome birds.

In doing some math using Google Earth, I was able to clock the
pelicans traveling pretty consistently at about 18 miles per hour. If
they were to continue at that speed after the last sighting over
Stratford, that would put them around Sherwood Island at 3:55 and
around the western Norwalk Islands around 4:15. From the sounds of it
though, they may have touched down before reaching Westport.

One other thought for people looking tomorrow. The flock was likely
blown up to Maine by the strong and warm rain storm from a few days
ago. They then rode cold N and NW winds down to RI and CT. Tomorrow's
forecast is for very light SW winds. While the birds will probably
continue their journey south due to it being really cold for a
pelican, there's also the chance they could hang out for a day or two
if they find a food source somewhere along the coast (maybe in a
coastal pond, marsh, or harbor). Just a thought to check the water in
addition to the skies tomorrow.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT