[CT Birds] State park habitat management

Steve Morytko smorytko at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 9 20:40:01 EST 2009

I vaguely remember our governor promising to create a "conservation corp" (or something like that) to help "manage" our parks and forests. I remember wondering to myself who might be supervising those activities. Certainly there are some great opportunities including invasive plant removal which has been mentioned here. It might be worthwhile to ask the respective park supervisors exactly what's happening - they should know.

You might also ask if they have a park management plan and you could ask to see it. If they don't have one (I sure hope they do) then you can expect random acts of "management". While we (birders) recognize state parks as important conservation areas, that's not the only reason they exist. However, one hopes the park management is also keenly tuned into their important conservation areas. But don't take that for granted, you might have to help enlighten them in a rational and respectful manner.

Steve
 Steve Morytko
288 Varga Rd.
Ashford, CT 06278 USA