[CT Birds] Writing about birds. A question.

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Fri Dec 11 17:41:19 EST 2009

 Roy:

You are correct. However, only those of us who are birders capitalize the names of the birds. In general practice, animal names are usually not capitalized unless they include proper names like Connecticut warbler, American bald eagle., Audubon's shearwater, etc. Then, of course, there are exceptions with respect to the hyphenated names such as Buff-throated Foliage-gleaner from the tropics or Green Violet-ear.  And, how about Whip-poor-will and Chuck-will's-widow? Why would we expect any rational thought from an organization that came up with the name Northern Beardless Tyrranulet. The name is longer than the bird!

Jay Kaplan
Canton