[CT Birds] Evening flight of (probable)Snow Geese

DEIRDRE MURTHA sdmurtha at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 13 11:30:26 EST 2009

Saturday Night at 6 pm, I heard and then saw a flock of 30-40 geese pass over my house in Norwalk. Even though it was dark they could still be seen, glimmering in the city lights. They were heading south/southwest. They flew in a ragged crescent, rather than a V, and appeared all-white-- though not the best viewing circumstances, their white-ness seemed to include under-wings and neck. Their calls were intermittent (not the overlapping, pack-of-dogs chorus of canadas) and when compared to recordings immediately after, matched that of a snow goose more closely than a Canada.Quite a stirring sight against the crisp winter stars!
Sean Murtha, Norwalk