[CT Birds] Possible Evening Grosbeaks

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Tue Dec 8 07:22:10 EST 2009

Passing this along.

 From SH Johnston, Farmington:
12/07/09 - 3 possible EVENING GROSBEAKS, Farmington yard fly-through

As I was filling the feeders, I saw three large, stocky, large-headed, short-tailed finch-like birds fly into the top of a bare tree, call briefly, then fly off again. I was wearing my indoor glasses (!) so did not have clear distance vision. The light was behind the birds, so I saw mostly silhouettes. The birds demonstrated behavior I associated with Evening Grosbeaks: quick undulating flight, quick stop in the treetops, then off again. The birds called with clear two-note calls, with that slightly metallic sound that I associate with EGs. Not as metallic as RB GRosbeak, but full and rich sounding. Like bells.

I hesitated to send this "sighting" in, and pondered on it all day, trying to turn these birds into something more common. But my initial impression was "Evening Grosbeak" (though I haven't seen any for years) and that's what I still think they were. Their flight was from south to north near Farmington center.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT