[CT Birds] ID help?

Lynn Jones lynnjones11 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 10:00:53 EST 2009

Thanks everyone for the input.  A lot of the features were consistant with a
Merlin which made me hesitate to say it was a Peregrine in the first place.
But I just went through some of the mounted specimens here at the Peabody
and based on size (which I cheated and didn't mention).  I have to say that
this must have been a Peregrine.  The bird sat in the trees for a couple of
hours, unfortunately in bad light most of the time.  It was close to Crow
size and bigger than a Merlin would have been.  Part of the reason why
Museum reference collections are so important.

If this bird comes back again I'll try to send out an email and maybe
someone can come verify in person.  Thanks again.  -Lynn

The link again for anyone who wants another look:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lynnjones11/BIRDS#5412670879420441186