[CT Birds] Fish Crows - up close and personal

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Dec 9 19:27:45 EST 2009

On Monday, 12/7, I stopped at Birdseye St. boat launch and  found  a flock
of about 8 Fish Crows.  They let me get within 6  feet of them in the
rolling blind (car).  Even though they made no sound  while i was there they were
unmistakable because of their size and shape.   These birds appear no bigger
than a rock dove, and in comparison to the small  group of American Crows
that frequents my yard, really look tiny.  Though I  knew they were smaller,
I never realized the magnitude of the difference.   Also, the bodies are
much more compact.  The size difference listed in the  field guides does not
suggest the actual difference in  appearance.
Here"s  a link to a few pictures:
Don Morgan