[CT Birds] Snow Geese vs. White Pelicans, Stratford

Cnevins77 at aol.com Cnevins77 at aol.com
Fri Dec 11 09:41:32 EST 2009

Just back from marsh walk, Stratford at McKinney Wildlife Refuge.

Birds sighted at 8:10 a.m. in bitter brisk winds off of Long Beach; a
flock of 10-12 large birds flying about 20-30 feet above shore.  Backlit by
morning sun at first thought were Canada Geese, but then as moved west saw they
 were all-white with black primaries.  Seemed to be very large-headed, but
couldn't get great looks with 8x binoculars and teary eyes.  By the time
they were in good lighting, only had back side views, then went out of view
heading west over Pleasure Beach.

Here's the thing: flock flew in loose V formation, but not in  direct
horizontal line, kept undulating in dipping up-and-down flight in  perfect
sycnchronization, occasionally soaring.  Have never seen white  pelicans in
flight, but it instantly reminded me of brown pelicans in Florida as  they flapped
and and soared over beaches in Florida.  Would never even  think of
pelicans except for previous sightings last week.

Can't say definitely what I saw, and no vocalizations, either....

Anyone with a thought????

Chris Nevins

Stratford