[CT Birds] Snow Geese vs. White Pelicans, Stratford

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Fri Dec 11 16:40:34 EST 2009

Geese don't soar or glide in sustained flight; generally they only glide
when coming in for a landing. One way to tell that a distant V of cormorants
isn't a flock of geese is to watch for them to glide. Cormorants are in the
Order Pelecaniformes, and it doesn't take much knowledge of Greek or Latin
to figure out that that makes them close relatives of the pelicans. As Chris
noted in his observations of Brown Pelicans, and as Nick's description of
the recent "Former Providence 8" illustrates, pelicans readily soar and
glide during sustained flight.

Greg