[CT Birds] Writing about birds. A question.

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri Dec 11 17:15:33 EST 2009

The American Ornithological Union (AOU) standardizes the capitalization of the common names on the checklist.

http://www.aou.org/checklist/north/index.php

I think they change their minds now and again, but not so much for the birds we get here in CT.

I generally try to follow it when assembling the daily report, though I am sure I mess it up often.  A couple of tricky ones: Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, and Black-bellied Whistling-Duck.  It seems like when there is a hyphen in the first part the second word is not capitalized, but in the last part the second word IS capitalized.  But I think you really need to look each one up.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT