[CT Birds] Bridgeport

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sat Dec 12 14:57:44 EST 2009

The cold weather of the past two day has caused small ponds to freeze
over and the larger ponds have ice on part of them. I presume that is
the reason for the increase in ducks and Killdeer I saw. Also, there
was a great increase in gulls. This may also be due to the freezing
of the interior, but also there was something going on in the water.
The tide was falling and lots of gulls were feeding heavily among the
newly exposed rocks and in the shallows of the sand bars. What they
were feeding on I do not know. At Beardlsey Park there was a flock of
1000 Common Grackles (a guess) working the area of the entrance to
the park. The birds were constantly swirling about so it was hard to
get a good count. Looking through the birds the best I could, I could
not find any other species in the flock.

Dennis Varza

Bridgeport, Ash Creek, Black Rock Harbor(St. Mary’s Pond frozen
over), Sea Side Park 7:50 to 11:00

Brant	68
Canada Goose	210
Mute Swan	2
American Wigeon	59
Gadwall	10
American Black Duck	227
Mallard	220
Northern Shoveler	1	Bridgeport Harbor
Lesser Scaup	16	Beacon St.
Long-tailed Duck	12
Bufflehead	34
Hooded Merganser	7
Red-breasted Merganser	34
Common Loon	5
Great Cormorant	5
Double-crested Cormorant	1	Bridgeport Harbor
Great Blue Heron	4
Killdeer	19	Most at mouth of Ash Creek
Ring-billed Gull Ad	590
Ring-billed Gull Im	10