[CT Birds] Fw: Re: names, names

Boletebill boletebill at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 12 15:01:39 EST 2009

--- On Sat, 12/12/09, Boletebill <boletebill at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Boletebill <boletebill at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] names, names
To: "Chris Elphick" <elphick at sbcglobal.net>
Date: Saturday, December 12, 2009, 2:28 PM

Thanks Chris.

That was good.  Be thankful you don't study mushrooms where only about 200 out of 10,000 have standard English vernacular names and the scientific names of 5,000 of them are in transition pending current molecular studies. [;<[ ......but to stay on task.....

....since you and I each mentioned the great American Bubo
is there any GOOD reason why this bird is not called the American Eagle Owl or just in casual conversation why it's never referred to as an eagle owl (or an Eagle-Owl)?

Bill Yule