[CT Birds] Ducks at last, Ducks at last, God a'mighty, Ducks at last!!

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Dec 12 16:20:24 EST 2009

(Sorry, couldn't resist). Ducks on Coventry Lake this  season have been
notable by their absence. The last few years I have  seen  a decent assortment,
but, until today, nothing this year.  For the past few  weeks I haven't
even been able to find more than 2 Mallards.  However, as I  drove past the
lake on the way home from work I spotted a small raft of birds,  and quickly
returned with bins and scope.  I estimate there are at least 60  Mallards on
the lake now, although they are split up into smaller groups in  several
areas.  I spotted one female Hooded Merganser and at least 10  Common Mergansers
(actively diving and hard to keep track of).  In  addition, there are now
at least 40-45 Ring-necked Ducks.  Still no sign of  Common Goldeneye,
Bufflehead or Pied-billed Grebes, and there have  usually been quite a few Hooded
Last year I had ducks relatively early in the fall season,  and they stayed
for quite a while.  I suspect these birds have come in from  other places
that have started to ice over now.  Coventry Lake is quite  deep, and one of
the last spots to freeze in this part of the state.  Last  year it was much
colder early and perhaps that's why the birds were earlier  too.  At present
there is only a small skim ice shelf in a sheltered part  of the lake.
(Biting tongue and staying out of the Great Naming Debate - at  least for
Don Morgan