[CT Birds] Neck Banded Canada Goose

Mark Szantyr birddog55 at charter.net
Tue Dec 15 02:15:09 EST 2009

Last week, Steve Morytko mentioned a neck-banded Canada Goose on Horsebarn Hill in Storrs.  I refound the bird on Sunday.  Its yellow neck collar reads GJU.  It also sports a silver leg band on the birds right leg.  I checked with the David A. Stroud, Senior Ornithologist at the UK Joint Nature Conservation Committee.  David has been involved with the monitoring of Canada Geese captures in the eastern Arctic region.  The bird in Connecticut was banded as an adult male on 17 June 2008 at Isunngua, West Greenland.  This is the first time that this goose has been recorded since its banding.  This birding thing is fascinating!  Photos below.
http://Birddog55.zenfolio.com/p303973561/e3bcd6c21

http://Birddog55.zenfolio.com/p303973561/e36e91767

Mark
Mark S. Szantyr