[CT Birds] Note about tagged gull

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Dec 15 17:09:09 EST 2009

I went to the Mass site to report the tagged gull.  The  tag was a round
fluorescent green, as shown on their site for Quabbin tagged  Ring-billed
Gulls.  The # seemed clearly to be 196 (1st digit doesn't show  very well in
picture).  The bird also had a silvery looking band on the  right leg.
On checking their site, however, it appears they use only a  first
character of A, K, or J, and only A for Ring-billed Gulls.  Also, it  says all birds
have a colored band on the other leg, and this bird clearly does  not.  The
first digit could have been
I(eye) instead of 1, (would they use that?)  But there is  no indication
that they have used that series or banded any birds with a numeric  leg band
only.  Does anyone know of any other gull banding program?  I  submitted the
info to Mass, so perhaps I will hear from them.
Don Morgan