[CT Birds] Waterford to Stonington (eiders), Hammo campground

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 18:52:49 EST 2009

I took advantage of today's cloudy skies to check eastern LI Sound
before it got too windy. Stops included Harkness SP, Ender's Island,
and Stonington Point. Common Eider were present in NUMBERS at every
location and often very close to shore. Since I've been birding, I
can't recall a fall/winter like this for Common Eider in CT. I recall
a couple fluke large flocks being reported over the last few years,
but never anything consistent like this. Maybe some of the old folks
can chime in :)

Cormorant numbers were split about 50/50 between the two species until
I ran into a pure flock of 56 Greats at Stonington Point. While at the
point I watched two fishing boats coming in from the ocean with many
gulls and gannets around them, but nothing rare (recall this is how
Phil Rusch found a Northern Fulmar over a week ago).

I stopped into the Hammo campground on the way home and saw 3 of the
Baltimore Orioles and an impressive number of Yellow-rumped Warblers.

>From Nick Bonomo:
12/15 - Waterford, Harkness SP – 22 COMMON EIDER, 8 NORTHERN GANNET
Mystic, Ender’s Island – 30 COMMON EIDER
Stonington, Stonington Pt – 56 COMMON EIDER (plus a few hundred more
in the distance, likely in RI and NY waters), 70 NORTHERN GANNET
Madison, Hammonasset SP – RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, 3 BALTIMORE ORIOLES (fem/imm)

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT