[CT Birds] Waterford to Stonington (eiders), Hammo campground

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 16 06:55:30 EST 2009

Nick,
I'll chime in on the widespread occurrence of Common Eiders this season.  In my 37 years of birding in CT, I've never witnessed anything close to the numbers and widespread occurrence of the species in CT.  I would say that in a "normal" year, there are 1-3 Common Eiders scattered along the CT shore in the course of the fall/winter.  So these numbers are unprecedented, at least in recent history.  There definitely seems to be an increase in population to the south of their range.  A few years ago there was a huge flock (100s?) off Stonington Point in January (in RI waters) .  And I recall Glenn Williams finding them breeding on an island (Little Dumpling?) in eastern LI Sound earlier this year.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they're breeding on some CT islands next spring.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford