[CT Birds] It pays to look up!

mntncougar at aol.com mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Dec 16 08:48:37 EST 2009

I was watching a nuthatch on my platform feeder this morning  when I saw a
rather large piece of bark fall and land in the road behind the  house,
under a large maple tree.  I assumed a squirrel had dislodged it,  but out of
curiousity I went to the window and looked up.  Near the top of  the tree on
the stub of a branch that came down years ago was a Pileated  Woodpecker
pounding away!  They are not terribly unusual here, though I  hear them more
than see them, but always a great bird to  watch.
Don Morgan