[CT Birds] Stratford yard

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 16 10:27:14 EST 2009

12/16, Stratford yard-  I had the same issues with the Goldfinches that others have mentioned... I may have even said something about it to the list, because it was at least 2 months before they came back.  This morning, and the last 3 or so days, I've had about 10 at my feeders.  I saw them and heard them flying over my house everyday during their absence, more proof of a great year for natural food sources.  Feeder activity in general has picked up over the last 2 weeks or so.  Including my first yard Tree sparrow of the season on Sunday, and good numbers of woodpeckers  Juncos, White-throats, WB Nuthatches, Grackles,  Cowbirds, many Robins, Blue Jays, House finches, Downy/Hairy/Red-belly Woods, and a Creeper this morning.  A Pileated continues to show up randomly too.  I also had a Flying squirell continuously chirping from the woods around 1130p last night.  Same spacing and amount of calls as a Saw-whet, but a high rodent chirp.  They live/breed in my woods, so Flyer is my best guess.   -Brian Webster-