[CT Birds] Common Eiders in CT waters

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 16 14:21:39 EST 2009

I forgot to mention that South Dumpling Island is dominated by nesting Double-crested Cormorants, Herring Gulls, and Black-backed Gulls.  The eider are limited to the heavy vegetation while the others rule the open ground.  The cormorants nest in the trees as well as the ground and become more numerous every year.  I would say that the eider on South Dumpling have maxed out their nesting capacity and nesting numbers may decline as vegetation continues to die off from the guano.

Glenn Williams