[CT Birds] Eider on South Dumpling

james.bair at snet.net james.bair at snet.net
Wed Dec 16 20:59:11 EST 2009

Dear E. J. :

You asked:

I  have never been to South Dumpling where the dresseri breed but I was  curious to know if rock rip-rapping surrounds the island?

Most of the north side of the island is a pebble and sand beach, no rip-rap. This spring when I saw the eider out there, two females emerged from the vegetation in the middle of the island on the north side, crossed the beach, and easily swam into the water. Earlier I had seen a single female do the same thing (might have been one of the two I saw later, I do not know). The only male I saw while out there was flying towards the Little Gull Island lighthouse.

The only gulls I saw nesting there were Black-Backs. It looked like two pair of Oystercatchers were nesting on the west end of the island.

Jim Bair