[CT Birds] In response to Duck trap question

katz1449 at aol.com katz1449 at aol.com
Thu Dec 17 09:20:55 EST 2009

understand.......
in the Wheeler Salt marsh is a  type of floating cage  filled with cracked
corn, overseen by the DEP.  They are trapping American  Black ducks for a
survey to monitor their population (which is dropping).   So the Black ducks
go into the trap to get the cracked corn, and remain there  til the next day
when interns return to the trap and remove the ducks.  The  interns then
band them, draw blood and record the data about the individual  ducks.
Occasionally ducks die in the trap and I don't know why.   Apparently there
are other duck traps around the state.  it's just that  from the windows of
the Audubon building I can see this trap, so I report the  findings about
the marsh. From what I understand , an  accidental fatality of a duck is
accepted for the common good  of the species (not a quote).
Beverly Propen, Orange