[CT Birds] Coventry Lake Birds

mntncougar at aol.com mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Dec 17 16:55:23 EST 2009

There was a very large flock of Ring-necked Ducks on  Coventry Lake, just
off the beach on Rt 31.  I counted 171, but since  they were diving
constantly there were undoubtedly more.  In  addition there were 32 or more Common
Mergansers just east of the island,  though they were very hard to see in the
sun from the beach.  I  estimate there are  80 or so Mallards scattered
around the lake.  A  few Canada Geese as well.
Also, to my surprise there were 3 F/juv LESSER  SCAUP  in the north cove
off my association beach. Link  below:
Don Morgan