[CT Birds] Common Eider

Hank Golet htg1523 at att.net
Thu Dec 17 20:54:43 EST 2009

>From Hank Golet
12/17, Old Lyme, Brighton Rd, near White Sands Beach, 7 COMMON EIDER

There was no adult male with this group as there was with the others that I saw at Hatchett's Pt, 1.58 miles (google earth) to the east, two days ago

I'm just throwing this out there because all the food items that I see the eiders coming up with are crabs and maybe it has something to do with why we are seeing so many eider.  There is an exotic crab, Asian Shore Crab- Hemigrapsus sanguineus, fairly new to Ct waters, first reported in Long Island sound in 1993.  "It is now extremely abundant on the Ct Coastline and is the dominant rocky intertidal crab.  It is also found in the subtidal (below low tide) zone sometimes."

So why did it take the eider so long to find them,,,,I don't know.