[CT Birds] Savin Lake/Farm area Lebanon, Hawk day...

Brian Hiller mudbat13 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 17 23:25:24 EST 2009

 I spent some time around the Savin Lake/Farm area between 12 and 2 pm today and saw quite a few interesting hawks in addition to the usual goose movement.  A lone Sharp-shinned flew overhead as two red-tails circled higher overhead.  At 1pm a male Northern Harrier rocked his way west across the fields and came within 15 yards of where I was.  Shortly after the  Harrier passed a Juvenile Goshawk came roaring across the edge of the field and into the forested bottomland along the Yantic River.

Final tally;

Sharp-shinned Hawk       1

Red-tailed Hawk             2

Northern Goshawk (Juv)  1