[CT Birds] Hammonasset - COMMON EIDER, PURPLE SANDPIPER, SNOW BUNTINGS

sunrisebirding at aol.com sunrisebirding at aol.com
Fri Dec 18 13:28:41 EST 2009

Some very hardy birders were out with me this morning at Hammonasset.   It
was a gorgeous sunny morning and needless to say very cold! Despite the
cold, we had some good sightings including an amazingly close  Harrier, good
light on the winter shorebirds, and a nice adult Common  Eider just off the
Meigs Point jetty.

>From Gina Nichol & very hardy Sunrise Birders:
12/18/09 -- Madison,  Hammonasset State Park, Meigs Point area - 2 COMMON
EIDER, 1 PURPLE SANDPIPER, 3  SNOW BUNTINGS
Other sightings: American Black Duck (40), Surf Scoter (6),  White-winged
Scoter (1), Common Goldeneye (5), Red-breasted Merganser (8),  Red-throated
Loon (10), Common Loon (1), Northern Harrier (2), Ruddy Turnstone  (3),
Sanderling (18), Dunlin (15) Ring-billed Gull, Herring Gull, Great  Black-backed
Gull, Rock Pigeon, Mourning Dove, Belted Kingfisher (1), Blue Jay  (4),
Horned Lark (23), American Robin (12) , Northern Mockingbird (1), European
Starling (60), White-throated Sparrow (9), Brown-headed Cowbird (3), House Finch
 (20), Harbor Seal

Gina Nichol
Sunrise Birding, LLC
_www.sunrisebirding.com_ (http://www.sunrisebirding.com)

More Winter Bird Walks - Register at
_http://www.sunrisebirding.com/walks.htm_ (http://www.sunrisebirding.com/walks.htm)
 Monday, December 21 - FREE Winter Solstice Walk,  Hammonasset, Madison - 2
PM  Sunday, December 27 - Branford Supply Ponds - 8 AM
For information, please contact Gina  directly at 203.453.6724 or email
gina at sunrisebirding.com.