[CT Birds] Manchester Landfill CBC

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sat Dec 19 10:23:21 EST 2009

Pretty slow (and very cold) at the Manchester Landfill so I called it an early day on the CBC.  Boy those blackbirds sure wake up later on cloudy days.  I could have slept in another hour.  Highlights, 5 Horned Larks and 1 imm White-crowned Sparrow, plus ~10,000 Common Grackles, ~2,000 Red-winged Blackbirds roosting in the marsh with ~4,000 starlings and a few cowbirds. Almost no gulls.  Complete results below:

Location:     Manchester Landfill & Laurel Marsh
Observation date:     12/19/09
Notes:     09 CBC blackbirds roosting in Laurel Marsh.
Number of species:     26
Canada Goose     20
Mallard     23
Turkey Vulture     9