[CT Birds] Southport Survey #208

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sat Dec 19 11:22:09 EST 2009

Southport Survey # 208
I managed to squeeze in a run before the storm. The sky was overcast
and the tide was coming in, only the larger rocks of the island were
exposed. There were three abandoned Long-tailed Duck decoys off the
island, and 3 hunters at the mouth of the creek at Southport Beach.

Off shore was again quite, Long-tailed Ducks were moving about, a
group of Scaup flew by, and one little group of White-winged Scoter
was present.

On the golf course the ponds were again mostly frozen. The harbor was
open and was full of Hooded Mergansers, Buffleheads, and Canada
Geese. The difference between geese last week and those today were
the migrants. At the mouth of the harbor was a flock of the Red-
breasted Mergansers. Southport Beach had very few gull and most of
those were beggers. They flew to the car when I opened my door.

Dennis Varza

DATE	11/30	12/6	12/13	12/19
Tide	High	Low	High	Rising
Time	7:00	7:35	7:35	7:40